Wednesday, August 22, 2007

CARNIVAL MASSIVE ON YOUR MARKS...


Carnival weekend is coming up...and all over the land, wardrobes open and close with zest as a million neon batty riders and string vests are exhumed to live another day.

Notting Hill Carnival, which takes place on Sunday and bank holiday Monday, is the world's second largest street festival (after Rio). It began in 1959 as a small scale indoor festival and then took to the streets in 1965. Now the event attracts up to 1.5 million visitors. Knowledge is power and all that, so read up on the history of the carnival before you go-go.

According to the BBC, the weather's gonna fix up so I'm getting set for a messy weekend. I can't really remember what happened last year, mostly due to hanging around with my friend Jack. You know, Jack Daniels.

This year, I'll be lean-up once again and leaning up against any bass-heavy sound system I can find for my roots and culture fix on Monday. And that'll be preceeded by the YOYO carnival party on Sunday night which I'm sensing is gonna be just as messy. Any old school junglists in the house better bring their foghorns down to represent for the Ragga Twins who'll be there live and direct. It'll be just like Telepathy but without the CS gas. If you were there back in the days, you'll know what I mean.

Anyways, if you're heading down please take some pics of you and your crew and we'll blog them next week. Shame. Email them to me at camouflagegirl@hotmail.com.

So...be safe and print out the handy little map on pages 22 and 23 of this week's Time Out Carnival Guide, to help you navigate your way around with ease. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you the best route to avoid bumping into your ex.
Josephine xxx


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sigh-- the carnival was my first taste of London back in 94. Have fun!