Thursday, December 06, 2007

PLANE SCARED (OR STUPID?)


I can't believe that it's December. I literally couldn't tell you where this year has gone. Looking at the calendar reminded me that I have just over a week til I go on holiday which would get anyone excited except me because now I've got that sick feeling I get in my stomach when I remember that I have to get on a plane.
I'm not sure at what point I became so nervous about flying. It never really bothered me that much until about two or three years ago and I know that it's nothing to do with a fear of terrorism or 9/11 or anything like that. It's just this innate feeling that at some point (this year, next year...who knows?), the plane I'm travelling in will crash. Just blow up mid-air like that scene in Final Destination. Or worse still, nosedive into the Atlantic Ocean...with me fully conscious to experience every nano-second.
So what I'm doing now is the same thing I do leading up to every flight: I prepare myself for it happening. I watch Air Crash Investigation to check out how other planes have crashed. I look up plane crash stats (don't EVER fly Aeroflot, promise me that). I find graphs that show what stage of the flight you're most likely to crash in. Even on the flight itself, I insist on a window seat so I can be the one that notices the left engine on fire or the plumes of black smoke. If I'm going out, I at least want to get a good view.
In most situations in life, preparation is the key; it gets you ready, it makes you more confident etc etc. The thing is though, even with the checklist above ticked three times over, I'm still shitting my pants. Funny, that.

No comments: