Friday, August 03, 2007

ROBYN IS HERE...AGAIN...

Remember Robyn..?



I do. It was 1997, I was 11 and, amongst other things a hefty geek with heavyweight glasses and questionable braids (along the lines of Cleopatra style doo-doo plaits- these things happen), I used to cop Smash Hits to look at pictures of Hanson (i have no defence) at the corner shop by the boys school next to my Girls School as one had to get one's kicks where one could. Smash Hits used to stick a free compilation CD on the cover every few months. You know the ones: stuffed back-to-back with artists of dubious quality from Marvin and Tamara, NTyce, N*Sync, 5ive and the rest of the word-play titled groups but also Robyn. Robyn was a swedish pop r'n'b sensation and I though she was the best thing since jollof rice. God, the girl had a way with those ad-libs and trills.



She had a selection of notable hits in the US, 'Robyn is here' and 'Do you Know' but Britain's music-buying public largely slept on her lovely blonde haircut and the skills showcased on those long scratched CD's. Skip to 2007; my 4th favourite nordic female is back and this time I think she might actually win the rest of the nappers over. I like 'Crash and Burn Girl'. Her last single 'Konichiwa bitches' was something of an electro moment which is never my favourite genre but fine, she can do what she likes. The video was nice and fun but my heart swells for her current single 'With Every Heartbeat' and it is as just read on Wikipedia, now A-listed on Radio 1. Wow, i really hope the backlash doesn't start here.



My favourite thing about Robyn Carlsson other than she reminds me of my best friend Katrin is her charidee work. I love that type of thing, I really do - no ones ever nice and interesting anymore. She's a UNICEF ambassador doing Aid work in Kenya and Tanzania. Thirdly, sick of major labels annoying her with whatever they annoy artists with, she started her own label, Konichiwa Records.

This girl is nothing but good with me.



Sources: Lola's never-vague memories and wikipedia.org

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i was 15 back then...yes that gurl was hot,really like her latest videO,the song is cOol but reminds me of Fergie,m.i.a and Gwen...

Miss O said...

My fave song is 'Be Mine' it's very eighties infested L.O.V.E IT!