Sunday, May 11, 2008

SKINHEAD GIRLS

Girls are always on the peripheries of postwar subcultures, we never start anything...(except feminism obviously). Its always about the boys...I saw my first skinhead in Wolverhampton. People think Wolves is a culturally deficient place, but if you look, there is tons of cool shit everywhere, especially music related. Everyone grew up on soul and ska and punk and indie, it was great going to your friends houses and looking through their parents records. In fact we use to sing football chants to the Liquidator - "FUCK OFF WEST BROM!" Hahahaaa! Ska and rocksteady still sorta brings a tear to my eye because it reminds me of my Grandpa and his yearning for Jamaica...

When I worked in Camden market back in the day, this super hot Italian (?) skinhead used to come in every weekend into our stall. He was soooo well dressed and always alone. My heart would beat a little faster when I saw him coming. I always wondered what his girlfriend might look like...









No comments: